Sign Up for ADRC Event Notifications
Aging and Disability Resource Center of Broward County, Florida
SHINE assists seniors with health insurance claims, questions, prescription plans comparisons and assistance, and Long Term Care options and planning.
What Is SHINE?
SHINE is an award-winning, statewide volunteer-based program which relies on elder volunteers to help other seniors with health insurance matters, including assistance with claims and appeals, comparing supplemental policies, and organizing paperwork.
SHINE utilizes the support of trained volunteer counselors to assist seniors with health insurance claims, questions, prescription plans comparisons and assistance, and Long Term Care options and planning.
SHINE volunteers, who undergo intensive training, provide individual counseling, education and assistance at SHINE sites, via telephone and over the Internet. SHINE volunteers are also available to make group presentations on a variety of Medicare-related topics.
To schedule a personal consultation with a Broward County SHINE counselor, contact the ADRC's Information & Referral Office at 954.745.9779.
How Can SHINE Help?
SHINE counselors provide information, counseling, and assistance on:
- Medicare Eligibility, Enrollment and Coverage Issues
- Medicare Health Plan Choices
- Medicare Appeal Rights
- Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) Policies
- Long-term Care Insurance
- Prescription Assistance Resources
SHINE counseling services are provided free of charge by volunteers who uphold client confidentiality and provide information and unbiased advice.
SHINE Speaker's Bureau?
SHINE speakers are available to address condo and homeowners associations, clubs, civic groups, churches, synagogues, caregivers associations, or any other organizations that require guest speakers for their meetings. Some presentations feature video or other multimedia presentations.
SHINE Speaker's Bureau topics include:
- SHINE Overview/Recruitment
- Medicare and More—An Update of medicare Parts A,B,C, and D
- Medicare Part D—An Introduction (for new enrollees)
- Medicare Part D 2007 Update
- Long Term Care Planning
- Medicare Fraud/Abuse
- Sunshine for Seniors—Prescription Assistance
The speaking engagements are not sales oriented, nor does SHINE represent any commercial organizations or insurance companies.
Who is Eligible for SHINE Services?
SHINE volunteers can assist those currently on Medicare, those who will soon be eligible, and those who act on behalf of Medicare beneficiaries, including family members and caregivers. This assistance includes those who are on Medicare due to disability or end-stage renal disease.
How Can You Volunteer for SHINE?
If you have a desire to help people and an interest in knowing the technical aspects of Medicare and health insurance, we invite you to apply to become a SHINE volunteer.
To be a volunteer, you need to:
- Complete required SHINE training, consisting of four (4) days and one refresher day;
- Be willing to serve at least sixteen (16) hours a month;
- Not be affiliated with any insurance company, agency, product or service (including being licensed to sell insurance in Florida); and
- Have an email account and basic computer skills.
As a volunteer, you will receive ongoing mentoring and support through your local SHINE volunteer network and Aging and Disability Resource Center. Join the SHINE team of volunteers, and make a real difference in the lives of elders in your community.
Free Health Insurance Counseling
Free unbiased counseling on Medicare, Medigap, HMO, Medicaid, Prescription Drug Plans, and Long-Term Care Insurance is available at several Broward County locations. All counseling is first-come, first-serve. Bring with you a list of all of your medications including the dosages of prescription bottles, insurance card, and your red, white & blue Medicare card.
- ADRC Valentine's Day Fashion Show & Luncheon - Feb 12
- Broward Aging Network Conference - May 24-25
- More . . .