Sign Up for ADRC Event Notifications
Aging and Disability Resource Center of Broward County, Florida
Thank you for your interest in Employment Opportunities with our Agency and Project Family.
General Statement of Job
Gerontological counseling provides emotional support, information and guidance, through a variety of modalities including mutual support groups for older adults who are having mental, emotional or social adjustment problems that have arisen as a result of the process of aging. The counseling services shall be conducted either in individual or group sessions. These services may be provided in the Counselor’s office, client’s residence, or other appropriate locations in the center or the community.
Essential Job Functions
- The counselor will provide individual counseling, support groups and home visits with the goal of assisting seniors and their families in maintaining or improving their quality of life. The person in this position will be a support to families who are the caregivers for their parents or grandparents.
- The counselor will develop an education and support program for caregivers, with the goal of alleviating stress and assisting elders to remain in their homes. This is a confidential position reporting directly to the Project Director or designee.
- Offers information; makes referrals to other community agencies for needed services; and assist in obtaining services.
- Counselor may perform home visits for assessments or to deliver services for homebound seniors.
- Will provide crisis counseling as needed.
- Will provide follow up as needed, to ensure clients are complying.
- Assists in program activities as required.
- Interacts and communicates with immediate supervisor, other departmental supervisors and employees, other City personnel, clients, and the general public.
- Maintains written confidential client records and provides all required documentation to Supervisor when indicated.
- The counselor shall maintain a summary note for each contact, copy of the assessment, and the treatment plan.
- Prepares and maintains correspondence, case notes, narrative and program reports, and related documents using computer-based applications.
- Responsible for compliance with all applicable regulations, laws and statutes.
Additional Job Functions
- Operates computer and other office equipment.
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum Training and Experience
Requires a Bachelors degree; with a major in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, or other field closely related to the area of assignment; and a minimum of 1 year experience with a geriatric or similar population. Appropriate licenses in counseling or social work required. Computer software applications experience required. Experience working with senior citizens desired. Must obtain First Aid and CPR certifications within 3 months of hire. Bi-lingual preferred.
Applicants need to come to the NW Focal Point Senior Center to pick up an application, complete and submit it.
NW Focal Point Senior Center
Margate FL 33063
- Senior Hall of Fame Breakfast
- Broward Aging Network Conference (BANC)
- Conference on the Minority Elderly
- More . . .
- Emergency Home Energy Assistance Program (EHEAP)
- Senior Citizen Legal Assistance
- Foreclosure Prevention and Advocacy Project
- More . . .